The same year (1860) Charles-François Daubigny bought a piece of land in Auvers to build his “studio in the countryside”. He was more and more interested by the interplay of light.
In 1861, the first artistic centre in Auvers-sur-Oise was built. Daubigny’s Studio House became a place to meet and work. Daubigny had several students.
Then, his close friends (Oudinot, Corot, Daumier, Geoffroy Dechaume…) managed to convince him to decorate this magical place, and everyone lent a hand. Corot, project manager of the Studio decoration, decided to represent the Italian landscapes he so loved.
Over time, the “Botin” started taking on water, had to be retired. It ended its life in the garden, as a bar and a shelter. It was then replaced by the “Bottin”, larger and better equipped for sailing. This new boat was ready to go in 1868*. At the same time Bernard became the boy’s boat whereas Karl was promoted Captain !
* The scale models of both boats were built by Daubigny’s descendant, Daniel Raskin. From time to time they are exhibited in Daubigny’s Studio House.